Monday, June 3, 2013

My dad and my Dad, my father and my Father

     This started out as an email to a few people, then became a Facebook post and eventually a blog post. Father's day is coming up soon on June, 16 2013.  I am so grateful for my dad, he spent endless amounts of time with me creating adventures. I remember him waking up at 4am everyday to provide for our family. Sometimes after a long and hard day of work, he would take me fishing at either Bee Tree Park or my uncle Joe's community lakes.  He had great patience also, I was always knotting up the fishing line or reeling in the bobber I was supposed to be watching... One day we were getting everything ready to go and I slammed the van door shut, and broke his Lightning Rod fishing pole.  It was horrible but I remember him putting the broken pole in the van and saying in a serious voice, "okay lets go".  Growing up I knew that my dad was the toughest thing alive, no doubt in my mind.  Others would also agree...  He taught me to fight my fears in the woods at night saying, "Remember, you are the toughest, baddest, meanest thing out here!"  I could write a book about the adventures my dad and I have made, and will definitely write some posts. I anticipate more adventures in the future.  He is a hero in my life that has given me the richest and most exciting times. I wouldn't take any of it back for a second.  I also have to remember that I have two dads. My dad and my Dad, my father and my Father.

My first year deer hunting with my Dad.  He is behind me in the blue sweat shirt. (1996)

      Today I watched this video and thought, how much more can a father love his son? We will never fathom how much our Father loves us, is pulling us through life and wants us to be great and represent Him. I struggle everyday in many ways, but it is great to know my Dad has my back at all times.

      In 1962 Dick Hoyt was told by doctors to get rid of his handicap son Rick because he was going to be a vegetable and never amount to anything...He did the opposite and included him in ...everything possible. At the age of 40 his son wanted his dad to run a 5 mile race with him to benefit a newly paralyzed classmate, even though he had a heart condition. They barely completed the race and Rick told his dad, "It felt like I didn't have a handicap, like I could fly". Since then, they have participated in approximately 1000 athletic events over the last 30 years. They even participated in the Hawaii Ironman, suffered a 1.5 hour delay due to bike problems. They still made the midnight deadline which was a miracle in itself. Dick is an example for everyone. He shows selflessness, perseverance, determination and most of all love. Also, even though he completes every race with his 110lb son and equipment, they have NEVER been last!!! Unbelievable!
 

   
     This is an amazing amount of love, just imagine how much more God loves us....even more amazing. I was struggling with motivation today and just thought, I am a child of the great Redeemer. He has plans for my life, my heart and interaction with others. Sometimes in society standards I feel like nothing, I have to remember that in His eyes I am much more. How many endless ways could the Lord use my trials, my traits, my flaws etc??? "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." Phil 4:13 

      We as Christ followers believe this right? I do, and sometimes STILL struggle to live it! Be encouraged and actually live it. We do things God wants us to do all the time, serve at church, love one another, help others etc etc....but what about ourselves? God DOES want us to be selfless I think, but not detrimental to our own growth with Him... Sometimes I feel conviction and think, "I am too pessimistic to be a follower of Christ", so it seems. Remember through trials and perseverance we will be made COMPLETE. James 1:2 We go through fires which purify us. God says do not worry, do not fear, do not be anxious but TRUST. He also told the healed handicap man, "GET UP!" John 5:8. I think he wants us trusting Him and taking action, at the same time. I just wanted to pass on some thoughts after I watched this video. I believe that God thinks ACTION is important, we represent Him with actions. If we trusted Him and did absolutely nothing, it wouldn't be much to share with the world. We can make this complex, too hard to understand or keep it simple. Take care and have a good week.

   Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment